Monday, August 1, 2011

Getting lost in your ancestry can lead to peace... and nightmares

Lately I have been dealing with a whole lot on my plate.

No... Really.

I know, just a stay at home mom, 4 kids, the house should be cleaned, gotta run here, run there, yadda yadda yadda.


But when I get really stressed out I find that researching my ancestry is kind of calming. Yes, like putting a puzzle together, there's always pieces that "look" like they will fit, then you also have pieces you are sure will fit- but then you find three or four other pieces that seem to fit too.

That is, until you actually start digging in and doing the research. Then you find others research and you are not quite sure how they found what they found. What can you do? Contact the researcher.

I am finding a boat load of questions within my research. I am finding answers to some of the ones that I am not working on, and too many different answers that don't match up through their findings.

For me, it's important to know where I come from. It's part of who I am, and how I do things. It's a big part of some of my questions that I have for myself. I know how I feel, but is it part of my raising? Part of my passed down beliefs from one generation to the next? At this point I don't know if I will ever find out. While I have found some information others are amazed to learn about, I still have vague memories of past stories.

There are questions out there as to who are the parents of whom, who are brothers, sisters, grand children- Well you get the jest of the whole question deal.

Some things just cannot be answered. Some things you are looking for you just may not know where to find. Some issues you are looking for the answers to cannot come to a close.

Documents can be ruined through water damage, fires, and lack of writing them down.

It is important for me to find the information I am looking for so that we can pass this information down to the next generation- and yes not only my kids, but for other family members who have inquiring minds of their roots too.

Some are also looking for an insight into their health.

My question is if this informational knowledge is found, will I actually feel like I am complete? Or do I need to just focus on the here and now so that I can learn how to be me..... Until then I will continue to do the research and deal with the nightmares. It's the peace that counts after all.

No comments: