Saturday, February 6, 2010

Something new with a baked potato...

This is an oldie recipe for us, but I just remembered them tonight and made them up. My daughters have never had them before and I think they fell in love with them. We found the "taste" at Miss Kitty's Steakhouse, and though they would not share the recipe, we came up with our own!

Cinnamon Baked Potato

Amount of potatoes you want to make(if you are doing them in the microwave like I do I usually do 6 or less.) I like doing most of this in the microwave because it keeps the heat down in the kitchen. You will need a plate for cooking the potatoes. After washing the potatoes, I stab the potatoes a couple times on each side. Between the wattage of your microwave and the size of the potatoes the may vary the time frame for cooking.
Put the potatoes on the plate with a 1 or 2 cup glass measuring cup filled with water. The water is essential so the potatoes do not explode. I then load the plate up in the microwave, cooking the first time for 10 minutes, turning the potatoes and then cooking for 8 minutes. By the time the 18 total minutes are complete you should be able to squeeze the potato and it will feel soft and tender. I heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

After cooling so that you can handle them, I cut tin foil and butter each potato, then I roll in cinnamon and sugar( usually the cinnamon gives it a really light brown color- lighter tan) . I put the potato in the center of the foil and I roll it and fold it so there is no potato showing. Following the same order do all of the potatoes. I then bake the potatoes for about 20 minutes, and unroll them and serve. I love the cinnamon on the skin because it actually wants you to eat the skin- where most of the nutrients are. Sorry I don't have measurements I just do it by looks!

Cinnamon is also found to be good for the body. There have been studies done on the effects from Cinnamon and it has been found to help lower Cholesterol and assist with the blood sugar, usually benefiting those with type 2 diabetes.

For more information about the effects of cinnamon, please visit http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html.

No comments: